CDL Driver's Licenses
- Any vehicle towing a unit or more than 10,000 pounds GVWR with a gross combination weight rating (truck plus trailer) over 26,000 pounds.
- A single-unit vehicle that is over 26,000 pounds GVWR
- For a passenger endorsement, the skills test must be passed in a bus with a GVWR greater than 26,000 pounds and a passenger capacity of more than 15, including the driver
- For a school bus endorsement, skills test must be passed in a school bus with a GVWR greater than 26,000 pounds and a passenger capacity of more than 15, including the driver
A single-unit vehicle, 26,000 pounds GVWR or less, with one or more of the following endorsements:
- Hazardous materials
- School bus (with passenger endorsement)
Endorsements (written test fees: $2.50):
- (H) Hazardous Materials(Retake when renewing Drivers License every 4 years plus fingerprints)
- (N) Tank Vehicle
- (P) Passenger Transport
- (S) School Bus(Retake when renewing Drivers License every 4 years)
- (T) Doubles / Triples
- (X) Tanker and Hazardous Materials
- (K) Intrastate only
- (L) Vehicles without air brakes
NOTE: When you are renewing your CDL drivers license you are required to
bring with you to the License Bureau a Certified Copy of your Birth
Certificate or a valid Passport.
NOTE: Check the new FMCSA's Entry Level Driver Training(ELDT) regulations affect State based training requirements. These will take effect on February 7, 2022.
For More Information, visit the FMCSA's ELDT website.
Commercial Motor Carrier Requirements
You may be subject to possessing a valid U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) medical examiner's certificate and restrictions on the number of hours you may drive. You also will need to file a Medical Self-Certification Form if you hold any CDL driver's license. If required to have a medical examination, after May 21, 2014; the medical examiner must be listed on the National Registry of Certified Medical Examiners per f49 CFR 391.42.
See or obtain a Minnesota Commercial Driver's Manual for complete information and requirements. Obtain at our office or go to the website.