Grant County Recorder
10 2nd Street NE
Elbow Lake MN 56531-4400
Phone: 218-685-8255
Fax: 218-685-4178
Office Hours: Monday - Friday,
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed on Federal Holidays
Diann Giese-County Recorder

Scope of Operations | Document Standards and Recording Fees | View Real Estate Documents | Marriages | Passports | FREE-Property Fraud Alert | Notary Public | Military Discharge | Uniform Commercial Code | Misc Links
Scope of Operations

The County Recorder is the custodian of all records pertaining to Real Estate, Uniform Commercial Code, Marriages, Notary Public Registration, Minister's Credentials, Military Discharge Records and other miscellaneous records. The Recorder's Office records and/or files numerous legal documents relating to Grant County daily. Most documents are public and may be viewed upon request. This office is also a Passport Agent for the U.S. Department of State.

Document Standards & Recording Fees

Click here for Document Standards to record a document in Minnesota and Abstract Filing fees. If you have questions regarding Torrens Fees, please contact our office.

View Real Estate Documents

All real estate documents are available for viewing at our office during regular office hours. Real Estate Professionals may visit the Tapestry Website for Grant County real estate documents that may be viewed online at any time for a fee. To find out more information about Tapestry, visit their Frequently Asked Questions. Not all documents are available online. Please check the Tapestry website to see what time periods are available for Grant County records. This office is working continually to index data, so check back often.

Enter Tapestry here**

Laredo Subscriptions are available for regular users of Grant County Real Estate Records. For information on subscription plan prices, please contact the Recorder.

Laredo Subscribers enter here**

** The information provided in the Laredo and Tapestry programs reflect information maintained by the Grant County Recorder's Office. The information is being provided online as a public service. Neither Grant County, nor any agency, officer, or employee of Grant County warrants the accuracy, reliability or timeliness of any information published on this Web Site, nor endorses any content, viewpoints, product or services linked from this Web Site and shall not be held liable for any losses caused by reliance on the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of such information. Portions of such information may be incorrect, incomplete, or not current. Any person or entity that relies on any information obtained from the Web Site does so at his or her own risk. The General Disclaimer applicable to the Grant County Web Site is also applicable to and in addition to the Recorder's Disclaimer.


How to search marriage records: The Minnesota Official Marriage System (MOMS) is currently working on compiling an index of Minnesota Marriages. Be sure to check the County index Dates to see what information is available for each county. Click Here to visit the MOMS website. Grant County marriage information is indexed from 1869 through the present.

How to request a Certified Copy of your Marriage: You must contact the county in which you applied for the license, not the county in which the ceremony was performed. Visit the site if you are unsure of which county your certificate is filed. You may request a certificate online or contact our office for a certificate located in Grant County. A certified copy of a Marriage Certificate is $9.00.MOMS Resources

How to Apply for a Civil Marriage License: Applicant one and applicant two apply in person and present a valid ID. There is a five day waiting period after you apply for a license. The License is valid for 6 months. The ceremony must take place within the geographical boundaries of Minnesota.

The license is $115, OR Reduced fee of $40 if an Educator's Statement is provided with the application.

Applicant one and applicant two must be 18 years of age or older. If applicant one and applicant two are 16-17 years of age, they must obtain the consent of the minor's legal custodial guardian and approval by a district judge.

The five day waiting period begins the day after the fully completed application and fees are received. A couple may receive a waiver of the five day waiting period from a district judge. Please contact the Recorder's Office for forms and additional information.

Questions on the application include: Name, Address, Social Security Number, Date and place of birth (State or Foreign Country). Was either party convicted of a felony for a crime committed on or after August 1, 2000? Is the couple related by blood or adoption? What will applicant one and applicant two names be after marriage? What will the address be after marriage?

If one or both of the applicants have had a previous marriage, the following information will be required: Number of previous marriages. How last marriage was terminated (death, divorce, annulment). Date of Termination. Where Terminated (county). Court Terminated (District, Circuit, etc.). Previous married name.


The Recorder's office now provides Passport Photo Services for applications and renewals. Photos are $13.00 (incl. tax). For information on what you need when applying for a passport, click here. You may also visit the U.S. Department of State website for additional information.

Property Fraud Alert  

ATTENTION!! GRANT COUNTY PROPERTY OWNERS: You can now be notified when there is a document recorded in the Recorder's Office with your name on it. The Grant County Recorder provides a FREE on-line subscription to Property Fraud Alert. This service notifies the subscriber/property owner when a document is recorded in the Grant County Recorder's Office with their name on it. No personal information is needed to subscribe for this service, just your name and preferred method of contact (either by email or phone). While Property Fraud Alert does not prevent Fraud, it can provide early notification so the appropriate action may be taken if it is discovered fraudulent activity may have occurred. Please visit the Property Fraud Alert Frequently Asked Questions to determine how to appropriately subscribe your name. CLICK HERE to sign up for your free subscription. You may also contact the Recorder's Office for assistance with subscribing online.

Notary Public  

Contact the Minnesota Secretary of State Office for a Notary Application. Once the Notary Application is approved and the Commission Certificate is received from the Secretary of State, you must file your commission certificate for it to become effective. This is done at the Recorder's Office of the county in which you reside. Signature and identification are required; therefore you will need to file your commission in person. The fee is $20. For additional Notary Public Information, please visit the Secretary of State.

You can now renew your Notary Commission online. Once you receive your re-commission, you must bring it to the Recorder's Office (in your county of residence) to be filed. The fee to file the renewal in our office is $20.

Military Discharge  

You should file your military discharge record (i.e.DD214) with the Recorder's Office. This data is considered private information and copies can only be requested by the discharged veteran, a person with tangible interest or by a Veteran Service Officer. There is no fee to record a discharge or for a certified copy. Joseph Hjelmstad is the Veteran Service Officer for Grant County residents. You may email or call his office at 218.685.4801 for an appointment or additional veteran service information.

Uniform Commercial Code 

The Secretary of State's Office is the central notification system for liens that are filed in Minnesota relating to the Uniform Commercial Code. Grant County is a satellite office that accepts lien filings, amendments and information requests for Minnesota filings. Please contact the Recorder's office for any questions regarding submitting documents for filing.
Fee Schedule
UCC Forms

The Recorders Office no longer accepts CNS filings. Please contact the Secretary of State for information on CNS filings.

Misc Links

Other links that may be of use:
Birth and Death Records (Birth and Death Records are maintained by the Treasurer)
Bureau of Land Management
Government Land Surveys and Patents
Cover Sheet for Submitting a package for recording
MRT and Deed Tax
Minnesota Department of Revenue
Minnesota Historical Society Death Certificate Search
Minnesota Historical Society
Property Tax Information Current tax year
State Deed Tax-Mortgage Registration Tax

Uniform Conveyance Blanks Real Estate Forms
Well Disclosure Certificate (PDF)
Well Disclosure Search






Oreo Cows of Grant County