Driver's License Transactions

New to State Requirements

Bring identification such as a Certified Birth Record, issued by a government Bureau of Vital Statistics or Board of Health in the U.S. (a hospital-issued certificate is not acceptable) or a valid unexpired U.S. passport. If name is different than birth certificate or passport, will need a Certified Marriage Certificate(s) / Certified Divorce Decree(s) or Certified Court Order(s) showing the name change and social security card or know your number (social security cards cannot be laminated or metal), and your valid out-state driver's license. 

Please note: Minnesota Drivers Manuals may be obtained at our office for a fee or view on DPS website to obtain the complete information. 


You will need your current driver's license, ID or instruction permit, when you come in to renew. If you are under 18 years old, you will need to have your legal parent or legally-appointed guardian to sign the application and you will need to know, or have, your social security number. If there is a change of name, you will need certified documents showing this change (such as Certified Marriage Certificate(s), Certified Divorce Decree(s), or Certified Court Order(s).

Duplicate Driver's License

You will need to request a duplicate in the following situations:
  • Driver's license is lost or stolen
  • Address changed (within 30 days)
  • Name changed (need certified documentation such as Certified Marriage Certificate(s), Divorce Decree(s), or Court Order(s), name change on S.S. card needs to be changed prior to the name change on Driver's License. 
  • Remove a restriction that is on your license and no longer applies
You will need to know or bring your social security number. If under 18, you will need a parent or legal guardian to sign the application.

Identification Cards

You may want to request an identification card if you've never had a driver's license or ID card in Minnesota. You must present proper identification that verifies your first, middle, and last name, and your date of birth, such as Certified Birth Certificate and social security card (not laminated / non-metal). If there has been any name change, you will need certified documentation for the name change. If you are under 18 years you will need a custodial parent or court-appointed legal guardian. If you have a Minnesota driver's license that is current or not over five years of expiration and no name changes, the Minnesota driver's license will act as proper identification. If you have a valid out of state ID or driver's license, you will need a Certified Birth Certificate or another primary document and know your social security number. If your out-of-state driver's license or ID is expired more than one year, you will need one primary and one secondary document (see identification requirements). 

Please Note: New Laws

  • Effective January 1, 2015 - Requires any driver education course completion card (white card) with a training completion date in 2015 or after, will require the applicant under age 18 to present a driving log when checking in for the road test. The required hours will be 50 hours, 15 at night, on their driving log.
  • Effective January 1, 2015 - Requires driver's education programs to offer Supplemental Parental Curriculum Course to the parent or guardian of teens under the age of 18 at least once annually. Parents or guardians who complete the course will receive a Certificate of Completion by the driver education program. The course allows the teen to complete 40 hours, 15 at night, rather than 50 hours, 15 at night, on their driving log if a parent completes the course and present the certificate. If an applicant states they do not have a driving log at time of road test, the road test will not be administered and will have to reschedule their appointment.

Instruction Permits

The instruction permit is the first step to becoming a licensed driver. To qualify, you must:
  • Be at least 15 years of age
  • Complete 30 hours of classroom instruction
  • Be enrolled in behind-the-wheel instruction (will receive a Blue Card upon completion)
  • Comply with identification requirements (Certified Birth Certificate and Social Security Card are the most common documents)
  • Pass a knowledge test
  • Pass a vision screening
  • Complete a license application
  • Pay required fee and have photo taken
If 18 years of age or older, classroom and behind-the-wheel instruction is not required. If under 18, a custodial parent needs to sign the application.

Provisional Driver's License

Provisional driver's license is the second phase of the GDL system. The license is valid for two years from application date and has restrictions that do not apply to a full driver's license. To qualify for your provisional license you must:
  • Be at least 16 years of age
  • Have completed the classroom and the behind-the-wheel phases of driver's education (white card)
  • Have held an instruction permit for 6 months with no convictions for moving or alcohol / controlled-substance violations
  • Pass a road test
A custodial parent, legally-appointed guardian must sign and approve your license application and certify that you have driven under supervision of a licensed driver who is at least 21 years of age for the required hours and provide the log sheet. Make sure you have proof of valid auto insurance and have or know your social security number. 

Please note: New Law - Customers who miss their road test appointment face a $20.00 "No Show" fee.  Appointments must be cancelled at least 24 hours before to avoid the fee.

Restricted Farm Work Driver's License

A restricted farm work driver's license allows a young person to help a parent or guardian with farm work. It is not a regular provisional license. The young person may drive alone to perform farm work during daylight hours, within 20 miles of the farmhouse, in cities with populations of less than 100,000. 

To obtain a farm work driver's license, the applicant's parent or legal guardian must fill out an affidavit that certifies the youth is needed to help out with farm work. This affidavit is presented at time of road test and must present a property tax statement that classifies the property as agricultural. 

The 15-year-old may qualify for a restricted farm work driver's license, a special medical driver's license, or a motorized bicycle (moped) permit after completing a driver education course and passing a road test. 

Enhanced Driver's License

EDL licenses are processed at all Full Drivers License office locations:

These serve as a driver's license or ID card and the EDLs allow re-entry into the United States via land and sea from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, or the Caribbean. The cost of an EDL is $15 in addition to the fee charged for a regular driver's license or ID card. 
Applicants must:

Real ID Driver's License

These serve as a Drivers License or ID Card to fly within the United States, visit a military base, or another Federal building.

You must provide proof of identity; full legal name, Social Security Card, Minnesota residency(2), and US Citizenship.

View Real ID Requirements.